I’m posting this because Lucy requested it, and I hope she makes them for her delightful-sounding little ones. They’ve got so many food allergies, and Lucy seems to be a supermom keeping up with it all! Although they can’t have dairy or eggs, luckily they can eat wheat, so these cupcakes should be a perfect treat for them.
I don’t have any photos of these, so please refer to the non-vegan recipe—they really shouldn’t look any different when they’re done! But this recipe only makes one dozen cupcakes, which is a sane amount of cupcakes to be making at one time.
From the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero
|1||cup soy milk|
|1||tsp. apple cider vinegar|
|1¼||cups all-purpose flour|
|¾||tsp. baking powder|
|½||tsp. baking soda|
|¼||tsp. salt (increase salt to ½ teaspoon if you’re using oil instead of margarine)|
|½||cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or ⅓ cup canola oil|
|2||tsp. vanilla extract|
|2||tsp. lemon extract and 1 TBS lemon zest|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. (Don’t beat past 2 minutes.) Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon extract in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely before frosting.
Vegan Lemon Curd:
- 1 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 T. fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 T. coconut milk
- 3 T. corn starch dissolved in 3 T. cold water
- 2 T. dairy-free soy margarine, divided
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the lemon juice, sugar, lemon zest and salt, stirring well to dissolve the sugar. After the sugar is dissolved, add the corn starch mixture and the coconut milk, stirring well to combine. Stirring constantly, cook until the mixture begins to thicken and the first few bubbles appear on the surface, about 8 minutes. Add the dairy-free soy margarine, and cook, stirring constantly, for several minutes more, or until the mixture resembles a thick pudding. Transfer the mixture to a heat proof dish, cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap and let cool completely before placing in the refrigerator to chill. Chill lemon curd for 2 hours in the refrigerator before using.
Vegan Lemon Buttercream Frosting
1 cup Earth Balance margarine
4 cups confectioner’s/icing sugar, sifted
4 Tbs fresh lemon juice
4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
With a hand mixer, cream the shortening and margarine until light and fluffy. Add the sugar in roughly 1/2 cup additions, adding a splash of lemon juice between each. Add zest and vanilla and beat for 3 to 5 minutes.
(Adapted from Isa Chandra Moskovitz and VCTOTW.)