I cannot take any credit for this recipe at all—it’s all down to one of my absolute favorite recipe sources, 101cookbooks.com. Basically, I want Heidi Swanson’s life. She lives in San Francisco, has had two wildly successful cookbooks, travels all over the world, is a rock-star food photographer. NO, I’m not jealous. NOT ONE LITTLE BIT.
Okay, let’s calm down and get back to the recipe: click here to go right to the source.
Here’s my notes on this yummy soup:
- First of all, it’s so easy to make vegan. It’s one of my friend Diana’s favorite things I make for her. She’s actually worked it into her yoga fast.
- This last time I made it, I added some Swiss chard, and it was a great addition. The Husband heartily approved.
- I LOVE using the Better Than Bouillon, mushroom flavor in this soup. It’s delicious!
- Vegans, try using avocado instead of the feta. Works really well.
- You don’t need shallots, necessarily. Today I used one red onion and three small brown onions and it turned out just fine.
- I also like to use a whole teaspoon of chile flakes, but we like things spicy around here. You’d be surprised, but that half teaspoon is well enough.
- Meat eaters—use whatever stock you have on hand. Chicken and beef stock would work very well.
That’s about it! I would really recommend trying this, especially on a rainy day like today. We’re serving it alongside some Dogs of Dinner, but it works well on its own.
Enjoy! And I also would recommend perusing more of Heidi’s recipes. But please come back here. Please. Thank you.