Okay, I lied. Don’t stop—I’m loving it! Recognition from my peers is so gratifying, especially when those peers are super fantabulous themselves. I’ve been lax in thanking my nominators, but things have just been so crazy with work and the course that I’m teaching at UCI (on blogging, natch). But it’s been on my mind and I want to thank my nominators and show some love to some other bloggers!
So thank you, thank you, thank you to the Burlesque Baker and to Mama’s Gotta Bake. The BB nominated me for the Liebster Award and MGB nominated me for both the Versatile Blogger Award and the Very Inspiring Blogger Award.
The rules are to thank the blogger(s) who nominated me. So first shout out: the Burlesque Baker and I have “met” very recently, but I can see that she is definitely a kindred spirit on the other side of the nation. She’s got style and sass, and knows her way around fashion, retro delights AND a kitchen—plus, her kitchen is “cozy” like mine! Mama’s Gotta Bake is just up in Los Angeles, and her photography is jaw-droppingly wonderful. She not only creates beautiful and delicious desserts, but also reviews restaurants and manages to get amazing photos of the food and the place itself! I wonder how she does it—but I’m so glad she does!
So the second rule is to tell people seven things about me. I thought I’d use my Dad’s comment on my last nomination for the Versatile Blogger award, because I thought his seven picks were hilarious. I’ve made a few comments to elaborate:
SEVEN THINGS YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT JENNIFER BUT COULDN’T BE BOTHERED TO ASK HER DAD!
1. She hogs the pen when working the Sunday LA Times Crossword Puzzle with me. (That’s only because he starts before me and I need to catch up.)
2. She carried a self-decorated lunch box to school in her senior year, and despite ridicule from fellow students received a $500 scholarship by writing an essay about her lunch box. (I rocked that lunch box. It was a Star Trek lunch box, and I wish I had bronzed it.)
3. As a youngster could cry while reading breakfast cereal boxes. Ever after was the designated “family crier”. (I still cry at ridiculous things, like Kleenex commercials and Star Trek. What, you don’t cry at the beginning of the latest movie when Kirk’s dad dies after he’s born? What’s wrong with you?)
4. Is hooked on purple as her favorite color, down to the pens she uses. (Still have a purple preference, it’s true.)
5. In Laguna Beach, I am now known as “Jennifer’s Dad”, just like when she was in elementary school. (He’s proud of it! And it takes some of the attention away from him, which is a good thing, as he’s a dyed-in-the-wool rabble-rouser!)
6. Upon my suggestion, and to the angst of her mother, wore Dock Martins dyed white with her first wedding ensemble–a short-lived fashion statement. (It was great—I had the most comfortable shoes of any woman there. My second (and last) wedding I wore bare feet.)
7. In addition to her cooking skills, she is an accomplished cupcake decorator. Auditioned for Food Channel’s Cupcake Wars. (And invited back a second time, but I declined. My Dad would have been my assistant, and we would have kicked butt! But I probably would have cried if the judges were mean to me.)
Now for my seven nominations for the Liebster Award:
- Eat Suki Eat: Great blog about my local area, Orange County
- Krista & Jess: These guys ROCK recipes for food in jars!
- Crabby Cake Creations: I also get crabby while baking on occasion. Her posts are honest and often funny.
- What Have We Got Here?: Yummy recipes!
- Reveg of the Nerd: Whatever she posts, it’s beautifully written.
- Just Home Made: Indian food. You guys know I’m obsessed, so ’nuff said.
- The Hungry Giant: Diverse and delicious food posts. Some I might not try, but some I definitely will!
Go check out these great blogs! I realize I need to start following a few blogs that aren’t about food…